Visiting and exploring the United States can be an incredible experience. There are so many possibilities and experiences waiting for you in the US, but we understand that visa applications can also be stressful and overwhelming. Are you worried about your travel plans being derailed by delayed processing times or a potential denial? Do you have questions about your eligibility? Wondering if you have enough funds to get approved?
When you start with My Visa Source’s free online assessment, we can help you navigate your visitor visa application and make your dreams of traveling in the US come true. We are passionate about helping our clients reach their immigration goals. If you would like to apply for the B-2 visitor visa, My Visa Source is happy to help.
B-2 Visitor Visa for Tourism in the US
The B-2 visa is a nonimmigrant US visitor visa granting the holder a temporary stay and the opportunity to travel in the United States for up to six months. Visitors will also have the option to apply for an extension and stay longer.
This visa is granted to individuals who can demonstrate that they have enough money to support their travels and that they do not intend to permanently immigrate.
The primary purpose of this visa is to allow visitors to the United States to stay in the country to experience tourism and recreational travel or visit with family and friends. This visa may also be issued in situations where an individual requires medical treatment in the US.
How to Apply for the B-2 Visitor Visa
The visitor visa application process includes several steps. When you apply, you can expect to do the following:
- Complete the online nonimmigrant visa application form
- Upload your photograph with your application
- Schedule a visa interview (required for applicants age 14 to 79)
- Pay your application fee of $160 and an issuance fee if required
- Gather all important documents, including your passport, application forms, photo, and payment receipts
- Be prepared to provide additional documents and information, including the purpose of your trip, your intend to depart the United States at the end of your trip, and proof of funds to support your stay
- Prepare for and attend your visa interview
- Wait for your visa approval and make plans to enter the United States
B-2 Visitor Visa Processing Time
Processing times for the F-1 student visa will depend on several factors:
- The service center responsible for processing the file
- Visa interview wait times (if applicable)
- Whether the applicant can qualify for an expedited interview appointment
- Whether expedited processing or premium processing are available
- Providing insufficient or incomplete documents can lead to delays in processing time or even denials
You can check visa appointment wait times from your nearest US Embassy on the Department of State’s website.
Who is Eligible for a B-2 Visitor Visa?
The B-2 visa is an option for foreign nationals who want to visit the US for tourism purposes.
Eligibility requirements are very narrow as this program has a long history of fraud and misuse. The application process can be complex and visa holders must follow a set of rules to maintain their B-2 visitor status.
It is important to demonstrate that you have sufficient finances to support your travel and tourism in the United States when you apply for a B-2 visa. This will improve your chances of qualifying and being approved.
Your US visitor visa application could be denied for several reasons. Some of the most common reasons include:
- Current and/or past immigration status and history in the US or abroad, such as overstaying or unauthorized employment
- Insufficient funds to support your stay
- Incorrect or incomplete petition
- Insufficient supporting evidence
- Conflicts with your travel documents
- Health concerns
- Suspicion of malicious intent
- Problems with a background check
- Criminal history/suspected or known ties to terrorism
- Material misrepresentation