Family sponsorship is a great option to relocate to the United States permanently. Does your relative qualify for family sponsorship? Are you concerned about being able to reunite with your family in the United States? Our team can guide you through the process of applying for a Family Sponsorship Visa.
When you start with My Visa Source’s free online assessment, we can help you navigate your visa application and help you enter the US. We are passionate about helping our clients reach their immigration goals. If you would like to immigrate to the US through family sponsorship, My Visa Source is happy to assist you.
Family Sponsorship Visa
You may be eligible for a Family Sponsorship Visa if you have a family member in the United States who is a citizen or a lawful permanent resident (a green card holder).
There are several types of family relationships that can qualify for a Family Sponsorship Visa, which are outlined below.
Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas
Immediate relative immigrant visas are based on a close family relationship with a United States citizen described as an Immediate Relative (IR). The number of immigrants granted visas under these categories is not limited each fiscal year. Immediate relative visa types include:
- IR-1: Spouse of a US citizen
- IR-2: Unmarried child of a US citizen under 21 years of age
- IR-3: Orphan adopted abroad by a US citizen
- IR-4: Orphan adopted in the US by a US citizen
- IR-5: Parent of a US citizen who is at least 21 years of age
Family Preference Immigrant Visas
Family preference immigrant visas are for more distant family relationships with a US citizen and some specified relationships with a lawful permanent resident. Visas in this category are limited each fiscal year. Family preference categories are:
- Family First Preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of US citizens and their minor children, if any.
- Family Second Preference (F2): Spouses, minor children and unmarried sons and daughters (age 21 and over) of Lawful Permanent Residents. At least 77% of available visas in this category will prioritize spouses and children.
- Family Third Preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of US citizens and their spouses and minor children.
- Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of US citizens and their spouses and minor children, provided the US citizen is at least 21 years of age.
What are the Requirements for Family Sponsorship?
When applying for family sponsorship, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- The sponsor must be a US citizen or lawful permanent resident who is 21 years of age or older
- There must be a family relationship between the sponsor and the immigrants
- Provide proof of relationship
- Provide proof of legal name change (if applicable)
- Provide proof of any terminated previous marriages (if applicable)
- Provide two passport-style photographs (if applicable)