Post-Graduation Work Permit

What is a Student Work Visa? 

A student work visa is for international students who have graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.

It’s official name is the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and it doesn’t require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from a designated employer. This means that you don’t need to obtain a prearranged job offer from a designated Canadian employer, so you can work for any employer in Canada.

The PGWP is also an open work permit, so this means that unlike other Canadian work permits that have several restrictions including location, you can work in any location across Canada.

What Are the Eligibility Requirements for a Student Work Visa?

You need to meet the following requirements to apply for a PGWP:

  • Be of 18 years or older
  • Complete a full-time study program that lasted at least 8 months
  • Apply within 180 days/ 6 months of your graduation
  • At the time of application, you must have valid temporary residence status
  • If you do not have valid temporary residence status at the time of applying, then you must first apply for temporary residence status.
Student Work Visa: 5
Scroll to Top